EV powerpros 40amp L2 EVSE

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbportech

So getting closer to buying a Rav, so I am looking at chargers. I looked at amazon for the Leviton charger, I get 2% back so it makes it a little cheaper, and then I noticed that there is a charger by EV Powerpros, anyone used it? Will it still work with the delayed charge with the car, as I need to have the car charge during off peak rates, and I don't want to go down to the garage to plug the car in at midnight. Also I am looking to save a buck but don't mind spending more to get a better product. I already have a nema 6-50 plug in my garage so this should be plug and play. One more thing is I don't fell like building one unless someone sells a kit, I could also borrow the charger from work for a few days if needed but would rather have the charger in place before I bring the car home. Thanks again for any help.

Ok I am glad my wife can read and noticed that it is a 30 amp charger but says you need a 40 amp circuit, some times I hate amazon. Hope no one else makes the same mistake I just did, I guess I will have to ask amazon to correct there title.

You have a number of options. I like the JESLA from Quick Charger Power. Great product and easy to use-about $1000 very portable. Check out Val's Premium unit at EMotorwerks that looks like a nice product. I have both the JESLA and the Leviton. The Leviton is nice in that it looks built in and has a holster for the J1772 unit. Pretty heavy so not something you would take with you. There are not that many 40 amp units around. If you get the Leviton remember you will also want the adapter plate that is extra about $100.

30 amp Schneider charges my RAV just fine in my six hour low rate window.
If I had a 6-50 outlet on 50a circuit I would buy the 40a Leviton without hesitation.

Clipper Creek makes outstanding EVSEs known for their quality and reliability. The new one called the HCS-60 gives you a 48A which is more than needed by the Rav4. My favourite option is still a home made OpenEVSE if you are any bit handy. Here's an example of a portable OpenEVSE at 40A. http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1013

I called Leviton and told them they were to expensive and they gave me a coupon for 20% off. It cost be about $900 plus tax for the 40 charger and kit shipped.

Charged my RAV last night from one battery bar or about 10 miles remaining.
The 30 amp EVSE charged from 12:11a to 5:20a to the normal charge level.

An EVSE is considered a continuous load. You would need a 50A breaker for a 40A EVSE (80% 0f 50A). A 40A for a 30A EVSE. A 20A for a 16A EVSE, etc.

GlennD said:
An EVSE is considered a continuous load. You would need a 50A breaker for a 40A EVSE (80% 0f 50A). A 40A for a 30A EVSE. A 20A for a 16A EVSE, etc.
I know about the breaker being higher than the the load, but what makes me upset is it is being advised as a 40 amp charger when it's only a 30 amp charger. I already have a 50 amp circuit, and I want the fast charge time.

As far as the EV power pros unit, it's a pretty new entrant so I don't think there's much to say about it yet. I will say that 4/5 of its reviews look like they're faked (note only one has the "verified purchase" stamp.) It looks to be decently priced as far as 30a EVSEs go, but as others have said you might want to consider paying a little (ok, a lot) more for a 40a unit like the Leviton or Jesla.

If you're ok with 30a I'd be inclined to go with a more established brand, like Clipper Creek's HCS-40P. Or, better yet, spend less and get more with a 40a-capable openEVSE. You don't necessarily have to build one yourself - others in the community like GlennD often sell pre-built openEVSEs.

With regard to your question about timed charging, any J1772-compatible EVSE should work with the car's timer, so long as the car's timer does its job. Unfortunately it only gives you the option of setting a departure time, and it's notoriously bad at calculating when to start charging based on your programmed departure. Also it's known for just not charging at all sometimes, although hopefully recent software updates have mostly fixed that. For these reasons I developed RavCharge, which you might want to try out after you get your Rav.

Oh, and by the way it's probably best not to get in the habit of referring to EVSEs as "chargers", since that term is reserved for the much more valuable piece of hardware in the car that converts AC power to DC at the appropriate voltage to charge your battery. EVSEs are really just fancy switches; calling them chargers gives them way too much credit. Unfortunately EVSE doesn't quite roll off the tongue...

The nice thing about the Leviton 40 amp was that it was developed specifically for the Rav4EV. They guarantee the unit for 3 years and are large enough to be able to back that up. Not sure they would come out to Solvang if needed though that is a great place to visit. I love that shop with all the clocks and other "antique" stuff. You do have choices. I am really happy with the JESLA unit which is very portable. Pretty much where ever you drive whether down to Santa Barbara or up to SLO, or Santa Maria, or where ever, you will want to make sure you have access to charging if needed. If you can pull it off get the Leviton for home then the JESLA or one of the more portable units. Good luck.
Manny

Manny,
Yes Solvang is a fun town, we don't spend too much time down town as there are usually too many people. I have decided that I am going to just get the Leviton unit from Amazon, I can have it in 2 days and being designed to work with the RAV is nice, I may try my 30amp Porsche charger from work to see if that will work first, but I am most likely going to kick myself one day if I don't get the fast charging. I know I can make it to SB and back on a charge and if I head to SLO area I have a house in the area with a 50 amp plug, so I can just take a charger with me. Our main reason for the car is to commute to work in SB, and I believe the Rav will fit the bill, with the wife being happy that she is still in an SUV, and also has the room to hold all our stuff.
Also if your ever up this way and want a place to chafe, hit me up were 2 blocks form town, and they town now charges $.45/Kwh, a rip off, considering it used to be $.45 per hour. I charged my Panamera demo and it cost $9.00, I was a little surprised

sbportech said:
I have decided that I am going to just get the Leviton unit from Amazon, I can have it in 2 days and being designed to work with the RAV is nice...

I wouldn't put too much credit in the "designed to work with Rav4" angle. It was designed to work with any J1772 equipped car, but just happens to work at the max charger amperage that Rav4 EV, Mercedes B-Class ED, and any Tesla Model S, X and future Generation 3 car.

It will also work with ANY other J1772 equipped car, regardless of the amps required. The only thing unique is that Toyota and Leviton have a marketing agreement (and it's not even exclusive, because you can buy the Leviton 40 amp elsewhere).

The fact that Leviton stopped production of all their own J1772 cables, and now just market other manufacturer's stuff doesn't leave me with warm fuzzies.

My personal recommendation for a durable, wall mount, proven up to 80 amp unit is the Clipper Creek CS series (CS-50 or above will handle 40 amps continuous). They have a well earned reputation of rock solid dependability over many years of service that Leviton has yet to prove.

http://www.clippercreek.com/uploads/ClipperCreek%20CS%20Series%20Public%20EVSE(1).pdf

http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product-category/all-products/high-power/

Back