Legoland charging solution

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dark

Guys,

I will be going to LEGOLAND this October from LA and I really want to take my Rav4, but one way is 97 miles so I need to fully charge my car at LEGOLAND hotel. It just suck that there is no charger at the LEGOLAND hotel, I will have 2 kids with me so if I have to charge my car outside of LEGOLAND would be very hard.

Do you guys have any solution for me?

thanks,

Dark,

Suggest you go to Plugshare and checkout the blink charging station at the Sheraton Carlsbad (if you trust blink stations, I think some folks have had trouble with them). The nice thing about the Sheraton Carlsbad is they are right next to LEGOLAND and have their own entrance.

Alternative may be to stop for dinner on the way back at someplace like the Irvine Spectrum (if it's within an extended charge) where you can get a charge at the WattStation while you eat.

If you have a Car2Go account, I recommend staying at the GAZILLION hotels in "hotel circle" of Mission Valley (8 freeway, between 5 and 15 freeway) and leaving the Rav4 at any of the numerous chargers in that area. Then, drive a Car2Go back to the hotel for a couple bucks (or walk). Those little Smart EVs are always sitting at a charge station in that area. Lots and lots of flexibility with a Car2Go card.

If you have a proper UMC with J1772 plug, I recommend staying at this hotel:

Hotel La Jolla, 7955 La Jolla Shores Drive La Jolla, CA 92037 has a NEMA 14-50 around back for guests, http://www.hotellajolla.com/

Here is a Blink station:

Best Western, 1700 Seven Oakes Road, Escondido
760-740-1700

Lots of Blinks here at premium hotels:

The Grand Del Mar Hotel, 550 Grand Del Mar Court, San Diego
858-314-2030

Hyatt Regency La Jolla, 3777 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego
858-552-1234

Hotel Del Coronado, 1500 Orange Ave, Coronado, CA 92118
Phone:(619) 435-6611 w/ Blink charging across the street at City Hall, 1825 Strand Way, Coronado

If you're also going to Sea World, they have ChargePoint stations in the parking lot.

If you stay at a hotel near Poway (about 25 miles further from Legoland), then you can probably charge at my house and I can probably shuttle you to your nearby hotel. There are tons of them near 15 freeway and Poway road.

I am staying at LEGOLAND hotel this time since it is kids friendly but not EV friendly. EVBill, do you know if Sheraton Carlsbad would let me park there and charge my car? I think they charge $12 for parking? Do you know if Sheraton is walking distance from LEGOLAND?

As long as you pay for the parking I would imagine they don't care if you use the charger. However it's best to call them to confirm. Our family use to go to LEGOLAND all the time and we always walked past the Sheraton entrance that enters a nice spot in LEGOLAND. It would be a very easy walk from the Sheraton to their park entrance, as long as they let you use it if just parking at the hotel vs staying at a room. Otherwise it would be a long walk around to the main public entrance.

dark said:
I am staying at LEGOLAND hotel this time since it is kids friendly but not EV friendly. EVBill, do you know if Sheraton Carlsbad would let me park there and charge my car? I think they charge $12 for parking? Do you know if Sheraton is walking distance from LEGOLAND?
Since your hotel is already set it may be pretty tough to get this to work out, since the best case is staying at a hotel with charging facilities. It could be that the Legoland hotel has some accessible outlets you could use (would 120 suffice?) - call them and ask. Also, most hotels have a shuttle service that you could make use of to drive the Rav4 to a nearby charging station and have them pick you up / take you back. Again, just talk to someone at the hotel about that - they're in the business of helping you out.

dark said:

I'd just recommend using the Oceanside Nissan dealer a few miles up the road from Legoland. They recently installed a DCQC.

Darren said:
dark said:

I'd just recommend using the Oceanside Nissan dealer a few miles up the road from Legoland. They recently installed a DCQC.

The Rav4 does not have a DC charging option.

Don't forget the 110V option. I took my Rav to San Diego amonth ago and found a 110 outlet in the parking area (landscapers use it to plug in equipment) of my hotel. Since the car will be sitting there during the day and overnight, you'll get a big charge boost. Then you can top off on your way home, or supplement with one of the chargers mentioned above.

Back