Shark Fin antenna

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a blizzard pearl white fin available. It was on my Prius (totaled)

I paid $78, will sell for $35.

It has a black mark and will need new adhesive.

I was thinking of this mod as I did it on our 2006 Prius. However that car does not have a telemetric system. Is the antenna that is being replaced with the shark fin perform updates via cellular methodology? If so will the shark fin which only addresses am/fm still work properly?
Manny

Just got this from Danny at PriusChat: (They can make it in Shoreline Blue Pearl)

Thanks for your interest in getting a Shark Fin from us. You can just order that Shark Fin for the Prius and choose any color, but during checkout include in the Comments section that is for a 2014 RAV4 EV (awesome car, by the way!) and the color requested. Please include the actual paint code if you can.

Thanks!

Danny
PriusChat.com/Shop

Got this from someone else - because I posted in Mudflaps cateegory instead..

If you are replacing the antenna that is at the back of the car I would make sure that you don't lose functionality. That antenna not only serves the radio but also serves the cell phone data link and may affect the On Star capability. I am not absolutely sure that this antenna does all this but I think it is worth checking out before you attach a shark fin antenna. I have one on my Prius but that is very different from the Rav4EV. Have the LEAF owners replaced their antenna with a shark fin?
Manny

Yes, I saw the site. However in their description they only mention am fm radio reception. What about telemetrics? Are Leaf owners using these devices? On a Ford Fusion site someone posted the following: Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

Visual Garage claims FM reception will be 90 to 95% of what you were seeing. I can confirm. I had been paying attention to where the signal is weak for my favorite stations, and last night I drove those same roads. Reception was basically the same. HD fluttered in about the same places. Maybe it was a little bit worse, but 90-95% seems like an honest estimate.

Manny

Received my shark fin antenna yesterday.

I know that silver metallic is hard to match color wise.
But I am a little bit disappointed:

sharkfin1.jpg

sharkfin2.jpg

sharkfin3.jpg

I find the silver color to be a lot more "darker"
My wife (who is an artist and has an eye for color) says it contains more blue than our car.

I am still in doubt if I shall install it or return it.

btw: this is how the "new antenna" looks on the inside:
sharkfin4.jpg

sharkfin5.jpg

I dont see the allure of these. I know people really like them but I dont see the need to spend $100 on something that reduces reception and gives a new look instead of another. idk Just not my thing I guess.

jimbo69ny said:
I dont see the allure of these. I know people really like them but I dont see the need to spend $100 on something that reduces reception and gives a new look instead of another. idk Just not my thing I guess.
I put a longer that stock antenna and it improved the reception. 1/4 wave length for FM band is 29.5", anything shorter is not going to perform well.

drmanny3 said:
What antenna did you use that was longer than stock?
Thanks,
Manny
Got it at WalMart, requires trimming the a plastic piece that comes with the antenna.

pchilds said:
drmanny3 said:
What antenna did you use that was longer than stock?
Thanks,
Manny
Got it at WalMart, requires trimming the a plastic piece that comes with the antenna.

I'll have to look in the auto section next time I'm there. I'd consider doing that if it's a reception improvment.

Back