Dec 2014 sales Rav4 EV - "37" Production Ended Aug 2014

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
Assuming 36 months is required for 2600 units for CARB, 72 per month need to be sold.

On sale: September 24, 2012

Sep 2012 - 61 ........... 61
Oct 2012 - 47 ........... 108
Nov 2012 - 32 ........... 140
Dec 2012 - 52 ........... 192
Jan 2013 - 25 ............ 217
Feb 2013 - 52 ............ 269
Mar 2013 - 133 .......... 402
Apr 2013 - 70 ............ 472
May 2013 - 84 ........... 556
Jun 2013 - ............
July 2013 - ............
Almost looks as if they found the sweet spot with the $10K Toyota cash that started Mar 1st!

AvLegends said:
TonyWilliams said:
Assuming 36 months is required for 2600 units for CARB, 72 per month need to be sold.

On sale: September 24, 2012

Sep 2012 - 61 ........... 61
Oct 2012 - 47 ........... 108
Nov 2012 - 32 ........... 140
Dec 2012 - 52 ........... 192
Jan 2013 - 25 ............ 217
Feb 2013 - 52 ............ 269
Mar 2013 - 133 .......... 402
Apr 2013 - 70 ............ 472
May 2013 - 84 ........... 556
Jun 2013 - ............
July 2013 - ............
Almost looks as if they found the sweet spot with the $10K Toyota cash that started Mar 1st!

Well, more folks are likely to buy in Dec than Jan, since they can get their $7500 credit about a year earlier. Plus, I'll bet it's harder to sell a 2012 in 2013 calendar year.

Personally, I think the $10k rebates are here to stay through the next 2000 units needed to sell in about 18 months.

TonyWilliams said:
Personally, I think the $10k rebates are here to stay through the next 2000 units needed to sell in about 18 months.
I wouldn't be surprised if they sweeten the deal. Assuming 2000 units over 18 months, Toyota would need to sell 111+ units/month which they only did in one month so far, and that was the month they started the $10K rebate, and they couldn't sustain that rate for more than one month. The lease deals offered by the other EV manufacturers right now aren't going to help Toyota's ability to meet that number either.

If Toyota would give the buyer the full benefit of the tax credit, that would at least help. Surely they would have no trouble realizing the full benefit of that credit.

There was some talk that some of the remaining 2012's are not technically "new" as far as Toyota is concerned, so are not eligible for the prior Subvention Cash. If that's true and still the case with the latest offer, I don't know how they're going to sell them. The story was that a customer drove the car off the lot when the dealer thought they were approved for the Toyota financing, then TFS ended up not putting the loan all the way through, so the customer brought the car back. I can't imagine that the dealer is going to be happy eating the $7,500-$10,000 for that mistake.

miimura said:
If Toyota would give the buyer the full benefit of the tax credit, that would at least help. Surely they would have no trouble realizing the full benefit of that credit.

In the case of sales I believe Toyota does give the customer the $7,500 tax credit The only instance that I know of where the customer doesn't get the $7,500 tax credit is in a lease where Toyota Financial keeps the credit.

Ampster said:
miimura said:

In the case of sales I believe Toyota does give the customer the $7,500 tax credit The only instance that I know of where the customer doesn't get the $7,500 tax credit is in a lease where Toyota Financial keeps the credit.

Toyota has no control over the $7500 tax credit for a purchase. That's on the buyer's tax return.

The reason they have control with a lease is because Toyota Financial is the buyer. They will get the $7500 tax credit on THEIR taxes.

The only way for a buyer to get burned is to buy a "new" car that technically isn't new. This is a common scam for dealers to pocket the money themselves. There will be some buyer who doesn't know all the ramifications of buying a car with 5 miles on the odometer that is technically "used". I can hear the salesman/finance guy spinning their BS now.

AutoBlog Green is reporting June sales of 44 units for the RAV4 EV.

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/07/03/june-2013-green-car-sales-jump-35-over-2012-numbers/

That makes a nice round 600 total sold in 10 months. Well off the required pace of 72 per month. To meet the 2600 target, they need to sell 77 in each of the remaining 26 months.

Awesome. Hang on tie everyone. The $10K incentive is coming. If you can wait until next year. I think it will be much better because they have to meet the 2600 units for CARB :twisted:

To me, even at $10K off, the RAV4 EV is still over priced. Maybe some EV puff here can enlight me. With 10k off, it is still 40K. The Leaf is around 30K. Rav4 only get 76 MPGe, and NO Level 3, the only things is that it has Tesla battery. 10K for that? Anything else? If that is the case, why don't you just buy a Model S for a bit more? Thanks

camiev said:
Maybe some EV puff here can enlight me. With 10k off, it is still 40K. The Leaf is around 30K. Rav4 only get 76 miles, and NO Level 3, the only things is that it has Tesla battery. 10K for that? Anything else? If that is the case, why don't you just buy a Model S for a bit more? Thanks

EV puff. Funny. Making friends.
The Model S is double the price. Ask anyone who drives the Rav4 and you'll quickly learn the range is quite a bit more than 76 miles. 2 folks here have gone 175 miles. For the price over the leaf you get more range, a lot more space (compare the trunk space), a liquid cooled battery (read up), and power / speed when you want it. Why don't take one for a test drive and see for yourself.

camiev said:
Awesome. Hang on tie everyone. The $10K incentive is coming. If you can wait until next year. I think it will be much better because they have to meet the 2600 units for CARB :twisted:

To me, even at $10K off, the RAV4 EV is still over priced. Maybe some EV puff here can enlight me. With 10k off, it is still 40K. The Leaf is around 30K. Rav4 only get 76 miles, and NO Level 3, the only things is that it has Tesla battery. 10K for that? Anything else? If that is the case, why don't you just buy a Model S for a bit more? Thanks
The RAV4 EPA range is 103mi, which is the average of the standard and extended charge modes. The same methodology was applied to the Leaf and the EPA gave it a 75mi rating. So, saying the RAV4 EV "only get 76 miles" is way off.

If you're going to get a Model S, I consider the minimum to be a 60kWh car configured with Leather, Air Suspension and Supercharger Access. That comes to $68,150. Sales tax in Santa Clara County, title & license comes to about $6,380 for a total of $74,530. After federal tax credit and California rebate, net cost is $64,530. My RAV4 EV was $43,838 out the door, with my net cost at $33,838 after rebates and credits. So, the Model S is 90% more money than the RAV4 EV. That is NOT "a little bit more".

EV puff. Funny. Making friends

I mean it in a good way :lol:
Yes. I did test drive. No L 3 charging, long charging time, and 76 MPGe are my concerns.
The dealer wants 45K out the door. Just wait for the other shoe to drop to get better pricing.
It is still $10K for than the Leaf at that price.

If not, I might just lease a Fiat or Spark EV.

OK then, sounds like you want a smaller/lighter car since in general they should be more efficient. As for the 76 MPGe, there are several ways to make comparisons. Comparing the current price of gas to the price of a kwh, I'd be paying half the price to fuel up my Rav4 EV compared to my 53MPG Prius. The charging time will be an issue depending on how you're going to use the car. Multiple trips per day or a single commute? Predictable driving habits? For the average person driving 37 miles per day (I think that's the average American commute) you shouldn't have issues. I have a 50 mile commute, charge at work every other day and the range meter estimates 30 to 40 miles remaining in the battery. The good news for you is that there are a lot of EV options out there and the big automakers are trying to move cars off the lot.

Good luck.

camiev said:
Yes. I did test drive. No L 3 charging, long charging time, and 76 MPGe are my concerns.
The dealer wants 45K out the door. Just wait for the other shoes to drop to get better pricing.
It is still $10K for than the Leaf at that price.

If not, I my just lease a Fiat or Spark EV.
You seem to be missing what everyone is saying about the mileage. The 76 MPGe is an EPA number that tries to be an equivalent to MPG in a gas car. (My Infiniti FX50 has a rating of 17 MPG, but that doesn't mean its range is 17 miles.)

The actual number of miles one can reasonably drive on a standard charge is 90-115, while one can drive 110-150 with an extended charge. And that's not going 35 mph on flat side streets; that's driving with some gusto on freeways and hills.

The Rav4 EV costs $10,000 more than the Leaf because it's 40% larger than the leaf, 60% faster, and the only all-electric SUV on the market until the Tesla Model X arrives (in 2014 at a minimum $75,000 for the base version).

If you prefer a Fiat or Spark, you'll save money for sure, but you're wasting what you spend if your goal is to get the most mileage in the largest car for the most reasonable amount of money.

Using my Leviton L2 40-amp charger, I can "fill up the tank" from "empty" in my Rav4 EV to a standard charge in about six hours. But since I usually have half a charge left at the end of the day, it's more like 2-3 hours to "top of the tank." It's too bad there's no Level 3 for those who want to drive farther more efficiently, but since I only ever charge at home, I don't miss it.

All that having been said, $45,000 out the door may be too high unless that number includes tax, doc fees, registration, and the other usual out-the-door costs. I bought mine at nearly $8,500 below the sticker price (before tax, etc.).

miimura said:
If you're going to get a Model S, I consider the minimum to be a 60kWh car configured with Leather, Air Suspension and Supercharger Access. That comes to $68,150. Sales tax in Santa Clara County, title & license comes to about $6,380 for a total of $74,530. After federal tax credit and California rebate, net cost is $64,530.
Your numbers seem wrong. I configured that at http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design and it came out to a deceptive $69,320 AFTER the $7,500 Federal tax credit, meaning it's really $76,820 before tax, title and license, Federal tax credit and CVRP.

cwerdna said:
miimura said:
If you're going to get a Model S, I consider the minimum to be a 60kWh car configured with Leather, Air Suspension and Supercharger Access. That comes to $68,150. Sales tax in Santa Clara County, title & license comes to about $6,380 for a total of $74,530. After federal tax credit and California rebate, net cost is $64,530.
Your numbers seem wrong. I configured that at http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design and it came out to a deceptive $69,320 AFTER the $7,500 Federal tax credit, meaning it's really $76,820 before tax, title and license, Federal tax credit and CVRP.
You're right. They're sneaky that way. So my point is even stronger. I'll start with my $68,150 configuration, add back the $7,500, add the tax/title/license of $7,038 for a total of $82,688 for a net cost of $72,688 after CA Rebate and Fed Tax Credit. That's 115% more than my RAV4 EV.

There's at least 2 Rav4 EVs in Canada! Copied from a Green Car Report article:

Here's how the Canadian vehicle registrations break down for plug-in vehicles during the first five months of 2013:

1. Chevy Volt - 317
2. Tesla Model S - 281
3. Nissan Leaf - 240
4. Toyota Prius Plug-in - 130 (calculated from Toyota monthly sales reports; vehicle registration data does not distinguish between Prius Liftback and Plug-In models)
5. Mitsubishi i-MiEV - 73
6. Ford Focus Electric - 47
7. Smart ForTwo Electric - 46
8. Fisker Karma - 5
9. Toyota RAV4 EV - 2
10. Ford C-Max Energi & Fusion Energi - unknown (neither Ford nor vehicle registration figures distinguish between Hybrid and Energi models)

For whole article see:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...canadas-2nd-best-selling-plug-in-electric-car

Spent the last two days picking through threads here learning on tips on buying or leasing this vehicle. Was looking to purchase, but now it seems like leasing is the way to go given the current incentives. May just wait until after Aug. 5 to see what new incentives come up.

Strangely, the N. CA dealerships I've tried to contact don't seem too interested in selling the vehicle as the ones I've contacted haven't responded to my inquiries. Guess I'll have to stop by in person to check one out.

Back