Entune / Android 4.3

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spkobay

4.3 is the most recent version of Android - it was released by Google the first week of August. Because most upgrades come from the carrier, unless you have a Nexus device, you may not have yet seen the new version. If you rely on Entune, I would encourage to consider delaying the upgrade as there is an issue with the way the application is storing the credentials. You launch app, log in with your email account and your good. Eventually, the active/foreground application will timeout and close behind the scenes. When it does this the credentials are garbled. The next launch of the app, which includes attempting to use it in your RAV, will result in a failure of authentication. Remotely... you won't be able to initiate a remote charge or start climate control. If you're connected to your RAV, Pandora fails, charging station info fails, Bing fails, etc - they're all dependent on the application successfully authenticating with Toyota.

I opened a ticket with Entune support almost two weeks ago, but no movement. It was like pulling teeth in getting support to simply understand what was happening. "Oh, you must be having a Bluetooth issue". No... it's a bug/ OS compatibility issue.

Here's a screen shot for you.

Pretty much the same issue here. I spent over an hour on the phone with Toyota trying to get their brains around the issue. They had no clue what I was talking about... I also submitted support ticket, but I doubt they even knew how to describe the problem. It definitely is an issue with the login credentials getting corrupted.

I did some debugging and have figured out a long workaround. To get around it, I have to log out of Entunes, then either force stop the Entunes app and/or reboot the phone. (sometimes force stop doesn't do it) After that, logging in with your email address and resetting the PIN code seems to get it to work.... until it stops again.

I mostly used Entunes for charging station maps and Pandora. I think I'm going to have to live without these for a while.

geo said:
I mostly used Entunes for charging station maps and Pandora. I think I'm going to have to live without these for a while.
You can use the standalone Pandora app and have it stream bluetooth to the car. I do this with my iPhone instead of using Entune. Also, I think you will find that PlugShare is better than Entune for finding charging stations.

miimura said:
geo said:
You can use the standalone Pandora app and have it stream bluetooth to the car. I do this with my iPhone instead of using Entune. Also, I think you will find that PlugShare is better than Entune for finding charging stations.

Yeah, I agree, they are better. Unfortunately, cops hand out tickets for looking at the screen on a phone (but not for looking at the screen in a car). So, the solution requires pulling over to look for charging and/or setting the Pandora station - not ideal.

I've had the same issue since upgrading to 4.3. Do you guys have existing ticket numbers that I can reference when I call, so they can understand that these aren't individual issues?

eschatfische said:
I've had the same issue since upgrading to 4.3. Do you guys have existing ticket numbers that I can reference when I call, so they can understand that these aren't individual issues?

Mine is #1308271670

geo said:
eschatfische said:

Mine is #1308271670

and mine is #1308161395

I have full device encryption on my phone, but not on my tablet. I had hoped the issue was attributable to the encryption, but found the application behavior to be the same when I sideloaded it on to my tablet.

Coincidentally, Toyota released a new version of Entune at about the same time that Google released 4.3. I also attempted a roll back to the previous Entune version in hopes that it was bad release of that... again, no dice. (although I guess they're really ALL bad releases of Entune) ;-)

Short of rolling back to the previous version of Android (which I won't be doing), I'll have to wait on Toyota.

Thanks for the case numbers, mine is now 1308291565.

The rep I spoke to was an Android user and was very understanding. We talked about why all three case numbers were all so recent and I mentioned how Google was just pushing the 4.3 update to select phones in the past couple of weeks. She both escalated the case (with the other case numbers listed to emphasize this was an issue affecting multiple owners) to the tech group and also said she'd look into seeing if any of the test/demo phones at the call center could be upgraded to 4.3 to try and duplicate this issue.

I am experiencing the same issue on 4.3 with Google Play Edition HTC One. What I have found to work when the corruption happens, is to simply go back to the main screen, at the bottom of screen click 3 vertical dots, options, then choose sign out, then log back in. For me, exiting app and re booting is not necessary.

I don't disagree that the logout/login or the reboot option may work (although reboot still requires the credentials to be cleared), the issue is that you shouldn't have to.

In other news, "Enrique" from Entune support called and left a message for me at home today. I find it irritating that he would call the house even though I've twice advised him to call my cell as I am generally not at home (perhaps his plan to avoid speaking to me). Anyway, he relayed that it's not an application issue, it's a device issue. I can see that being true in that the device is more advanced than the application. :roll:

I don't have a lot of confidence in Entune to fix their application without a LOT of cajoling/complaints.. Since the Plugin Prius crowd use the same app, I hope those folks are complaining too.

For now, I've set up a Tasker to launch and start Pandora when it see's that it's connected to the bluetooth of my RAV.

spkobay said:
Anyway, he relayed that it's not an application issue, it's a device issue.

Let's see... amfca has an HTC One, I have a Nexus 4. I'm sure people with other devices are having problems, so... not a device issue.

geo said:
spkobay said:
Anyway, he relayed that it's not an application issue, it's a device issue.

Let's see... amfca has an HTC One, I have a Nexus 4. I'm sure people with other devices are having problems, so... not a device issue.

+1

Good news... Toyota finally released an updated version of Entune for Android on September 20. The new version resolves the corrupted credentials issue... all is right with the world again.

eschatfische said:
Just got my Nexus 5 and Android 4.4. Entune doesn't run on it, doesn't even fully launch.

I've reported it to Toyota.

+1

Despite the loss of Engune, the jump from a CyanogenMod 10.1 Samsung Galaxy S to the Nexus 5 was very well worth it!

Entune is used across the Toyota/Lexus product line. I wonder if this is just the RAV4 EV having issues or all Toyota cars?

The 4.4 incompatibility will almost certainly affect any Toyota driver who uses Entune - it does not appear to be a RAV4 EV specific issue. The app crashes before it even gets to account configuration or any EV-specific functionality.

Same here. Does not start on my Nexus 5 also. Why does Toyota insist that is app can only be installed on phones. I cannot install this on my Nexus 7 LTE thru the Play store.

Back