Rav4EV sighting

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bellvue Square Mall in WA has a line of charging spots.
Pulled in a couple of slots down from one of only 3 known white RAV4s in WA.
It had a custom plate but I didn't write down the letters.
The funny part was some guy who happened to be walking by and commented on the rarity of seeing 2 white Rav4s in WA.

Wow, I saw two last night at Fashion Island in Newport Beach, a Blizzard at the charging station, and a fellow Shoreline in the parking structure next to Nordstroms. Anybody here?

So who had the Blue Rav4EV @ Fry's yesterday? I was there around 2PM and it was in the electric vehicle space (but not charging becuase another vehicle was using the *one* charging spot at Fry's Sunnyvale.

n3ckf said:
So who had the Blue Rav4EV @ Fry's yesterday? I was there around 2PM and it was in the electric vehicle space (but not charging becuase another vehicle was using the *one* charging spot at Fry's Sunnyvale.
FWIW, I believe prior to the 1 EVSE getting a J1772 handle there, they were all of the inductive paddle type (not real useful now).

From https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeafs/permalink/580713811986284/, it seems like some group did a "guerilla upgrade" so there's at least 1 J1772 there.

cwerdna said:
n3ckf said:
FWIW, I believe prior to the 1 EVSE getting a J1772 handle there, they were all of the inductive paddle type (not real useful now).

From https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeafs/permalink/580713811986284/, it seems like some group did a "guerilla upgrade" so there's at least 1 J1772 there.

Actually several months ago, there was one paddle type and one that was broken. I belive the paddle one is still there, the "broken" one (which looks like had some connector on it but it was removed) now has a J1772 on it. I've used it several times myself.

tjka4231 said:
In that case, it wasn't my RAV4 EV. I passed by there on Saturday, not today. Would had given a thumbs-up also, if I had seen you. So far I have only seen one RAV4 EV in Irvine, a Blizzard Pearl, driving on Culver near Bryan about 3 weeks ago.

I drive my Blizzard Pearl down Bryan, Irvine Blvd, Portola, between Culver, Jamboree and Tustin Ranch Rd all the time. I did see a Shoreline Blue on Pioneer and Tustin Ranch Rd after dropping my kid off at Pioneer MS couple of weeks ago. That wasn't you was it?

I'm in SoCal and commute from the north San Fernando Valley to the Westside. I have never seen another RAV4EV since we got it in August! We've been as far north as Santa Barbara, south to Newport Beach and east to Palm Springs. I thought I spotted a blue one on the 405 last week, but it was too far ahead of me to confirm. Anyone drive a blue one south on the 405 on weekdays?

occ said:
tjka4231 said:
In that case, it wasn't my RAV4 EV. I passed by there on Saturday, not today. Would had given a thumbs-up also, if I had seen you. So far I have only seen one RAV4 EV in Irvine, a Blizzard Pearl, driving on Culver near Bryan about 3 weeks ago.

I drive my Blizzard Pearl down Bryan, Irvine Blvd, Portola, between Culver, Jamboree and Tustin Ranch Rd all the time. I did see a Shoreline Blue on Pioneer and Tustin Ranch Rd after dropping my kid off at Pioneer MS couple of weeks ago. That wasn't you was it?

Hi OCC, yes that was me. I just dropped off my daughter at Pioneer Middle School in Tustin. I thought I saw a Blizzard Pearl going in the opposite direction on Pioneer Road that morning. Wow, at least two parents with kids at Pioneer with RAV4 EVs. :)

tjka4231 said:
Hi OCC, yes that was me. I just dropped off my daughter at Pioneer Middle School in Tustin. I thought I saw a Blizzard Pearl going in the opposite direction on Pioneer Road that morning. Wow, at least two parents with kids at Pioneer with RAV4 EVs. :)

Hey that's cool! I'll keep and eye out for you next time. I've seen several different LEAFs dropping off kids at that school too, and if you actually go up the hill to do the drop off, there's a blue LEAF parked there every morning, prob a staff or teacher...and of course, there's several Tesla S coming down the hill from the gated residential area up there too.

I spotted a first generation RAV4 EV charging next to me. Pretty neat seeing two generations charging.

1126131147_zps5c172115.jpg

Saw a silver one (IIRC) near Netflix/Chargepoint in Los Gatos waiting to get onto Winchester at ~2 pm today. IIRC, it was a woman driver. For all I know, she works at Chargepoint.

I've seen a couple over the past year but today I was amused to pull into one of only a few open spaces in the Home Depot parking lot in Capitola and be facing a near clone: another white pearl RAV4 EV. They did have both a different slogan on their front license plate holder as well as side door protectors though. Howdy, neighbor!

image-e1388727290531.jpg

Oh, and that reminds me...

Last week, a couple of days before Christmas, I foolishly got the notion to try to stop in at Macy's in the Valley Fair shopping mall. Well, after discovering how crazy the parking area was, I immediately abandoned this idea and started slowly trying to work my way out of there again. (Yes, this took much time.)

Well, while waiting at one of the many traffic merge points on the way out, one of the uniformed traffic cops (yeah, it's that bad around Valley Fair for the holiday shopping) walked over to my passenger door and gestured for me to lower my window. I'm thinking... "Huh? Wha?" but I lower it of course and he leans in and asks, "How do you like your RAV4 EV?? I've got one of these myself!" :D

I answer that I love it and he proceeds to ask me about how much range I get. "120-something miles at highway speeds...", not mentioning the uh, somewhat-more-than highway speed limit aspect. ;)

We end up talking for just a bit about the vehicle before it's time for me to move forward again and escape the shopping mall traffic. Amusing! But of course RAV4 EVs are super rare, particularly in comparison to Model S's and LEAF's in Silicon Valley... and since Toyota is only making 2600 of them. Silly rabbit.

Incredulocious said:
Last week, a couple of days before Christmas, I foolishly got the notion to try to stop in at Macy's in the Valley Fair shopping mall. Well, after discovering how crazy the parking area was, I immediately abandoned this idea and started slowly trying to work my way out of there again. (Yes, this took much time.)
Yes, I avoid that mall on all weekends after Thanksgiving and any last minute shopping days before Christmas.

I made mistake of being there on a weekend even before that (I think it was to check out the re-opened food court) and the parking and traffic around the parking lots was insane.

Outside of holiday seasons, one can normally find plenty of parking on the roof of the structure near Macy's (women's one, IIRC), closest to 880 and N Monroe St. That day, I couldn't find a spot there at all.

cwerdna said:
Outside of holiday seasons, one can normally find plenty of parking on the roof of the structure near Macy's (women's one, IIRC), closest to 880 and N Monroe St. That day, I couldn't find a spot there at all.
Yep. Know that trick. That is precisely where I was when I saw all the cars circling around looking for a space to open up and I decided to bail. Unfortunately, "bailing" took quite a while.

occ said:
tjka4231 said:

Hey that's cool! I'll keep and eye out for you next time. I've seen several different LEAFs dropping off kids at that school too, and if you actually go up the hill to do the drop off, there's a blue LEAF parked there every morning, prob a staff or teacher...and of course, there's several Tesla S coming down the hill from the gated residential area up there too.

I saw your RAV4 EV this morning on Pioneer Road going towards the school. I was going the opposite direction and waved but not sure you saw me. Looks like you have added window tint since the last time I saw your RAV4 EV.

tjka4231 said:
I saw your RAV4 EV this morning on Pioneer Road going towards the school. I was going the opposite direction and waved but not sure you saw me. Looks like you have added window tint since the last time I saw your RAV4 EV.

Yeah, I did see you, almost last second!...gave an aloha wave, but I forgot my windows are tinted, so you may not have seen me. The tinted windows are great for the summer, but gotta remember to roll them down for the EV greetings! ;)

Luke26 said:
I saw another Rav4EV (2nd gen) for the first time today. It was a Classic Silver Rav4EV seen at the Mtn. View Costco. The driver was very friendly and waved when he saw me in my Rav4. It's nice to see other EV drivers out there. I am just wondering if others have seen Rav4EV's on the road. I did see a vintage Rav4EV at the Mtn. View Costco a month ago. Hopefully the cash incentives will put more on the road.

I saw my first fellow EVRav4 last Saturday nite 1-11-2014 in Redwood City at the library parking lot near --Middlefield Road and Main. Wow! It is great to see another EVRav4! Yay! The More the Merrier! --The cleaner the air, the less reason for war on overseas oil lands, the less global climate disruption and on...

To all electric car owning folks: may you live long and prosper...

Now, within 6 blocks of my Oakland, CA. house in all four directions, our neighborhood has the following EVs: 1 Honda Fit, 4 Nissan Leaf, Leaves(?), 1 Tesla, 1 Ford Focus and 1 Ford Fusion energi Plug-in that I have seen plugged in at home. My EV Ford Focus neighbor said he saw an EV Fiat nearby too.

And still there is nothing like seeing my very own, cloned: an EVRav4. How sweet is that! Happy New Year All!

Finally, a RAV4 EV sighting in San Francisco, and in my neighborhood too!

Were you turning onto Geneva Ave at around 8:00 this morning in a classic silver? I did a double-take, since ours is a classic silver too and I thought you were my wife - but yours has a Hanlee's license plate surround. (I was taking the dog out for a walk, so you probably wouldn't have noticed me.)

Back